I'm raising £5000 to pay for support in interviewing and transcribing interviews of engineering students for my PhD studies. I released a survey which resulted in a large number of students volunteering to be interviewed - far more than was expected! As the mental health and wellbeing of engineering students hasn't really been looked at much before I would like to interview all volunteers rather than just a selection. This will allow me to identify key issues and propose engineer-focussed support for engineering students.
Who are you?
I'm a lecturer in the School of Engineering at RGU and I am halfway through my PhD in the mental health and wellbeing of engineering students. I've been working at RGU full time since 2009 before that working in industry and working part-time for RGU.
I'm studying the mental health and wellbeing of engineering students as I spend my days supporting them and feel there is a gap in our knowledge in terms of mental health and wellbeing. Engineering students are far less likely to seek help for a mental health or wellbeing issue than other students and are potentially at higher risk given engineering courses can be particularly stressful.
I conducted a survey to gather data and asked participants to volunteer for interview, expecting a tiny number to take me up on the offer. I now have over 70 students who have volunteered and I would like to use this opportunity to interview all of them. However I can't do that all by myself and to do this I will need to pay for transcription services to be able to achieve this.
Where will the money go?
- With the money raised I will pay for as much transcription as I can get.
- I am not offering any rewards, other than my thanks!
Help ME SUCCEED!
- You don't need to give money to help us succeed! Please share this project with anyone you think would support us – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog.
- In fact, share it with everyone you know as we think it's a great idea, and the more people who know about it, the more likely we are to make this work out brilliantly.
- And we know we said you don't need to give money to help us, but we'd love it if you did! Please sponsor us and help make this happen.